Background and Guidelines
The purpose of the Curriculum Change Proposal form is to guide academic programs through the process of proposing all curricular changes to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
Please visit the https://coedocs.uoregon.edu/display/governance/Curriculum+Resources to access the College curriculum policy, review procedures, and timelines. The website also provides resources for navigating the UO curricular review process and includes UO Curriculum Committee (UOCC) meeting dates and timelines, tips for writing a proposal for the UOCC, CourseLeaf instructions, and more.
Before starting a Curriculum Change proposal, please consult the UOCC approval timeline in order to create your own internal timeline for suggested changes. For example, in order for a course change to be approved and take effect by Fall 2019, the change should be submitted to the UOCC by December 2018. This would mean any changes would need to be presented at the COE curriculum committee meeting in Fall 2018.
Information Needed for all Proposed Changes
- Date of change proposal
- Name and role of person submitting proposal
- Academic Program/Department submitting proposal
- Type of internal course review, either "Exempt" or "Full" (Please review College curricular policy. Verification by Associate Dean for Academic Affairs)
- Summary of Proposed Curriculum Changes
- Rationale or Justification for Proposed Changes
- Curricular Review Process, i.e., a brief statement confirming the steps you followed to review and approve the proposed curricular changes in accordance with your Department’s governance policy.
- An attached course syllabus (Word Document or PDF)
Additional Information Needed for Proposed Changes Requiring Full Review
- Context for Curriculum Review and Changes Background information that will help the COE Curriculum Committee (COE CC) understand why you are reviewing your curriculum and proposing changes now as well as academic justification for the specific changes proposed. [Note. Please refrain from using acronyms that COE CC members may not know and include relevant program details for those COE CC members who are not familiar with the details of your academic program.]
- Detailed Review of Proposed Curricular Changes
- Description of proposed course and program changes
- Description of the academic benefits of proposed changes (e.g., curricular accessibility and quality improved, enrollment increased, academic program costs to students reduced, etc.)
- Description of the academic impact of proposed curricular changes (e.g., program plan changes, licensure or accreditation standards met, etc.)
- Description of the budgetary impact of proposed curricular changes (e.g., losses or gains in FTE, increased SCHs)
- Market Analysis (e.g., how proposed changes improve academic growth and/or sustainability, particularly in comparison to other existing programs in Oregon and/or across the country, if applicable)
- Projected Timeline for implementing curricular changes